Is It Important to Clean Your Gums and Tongue? Separating Fact from Fiction
We all know it’s important to brush our teeth twice daily. After all, tooth brushing is the best way to prevent tooth decay. But what about our gums and tongue? Is it important to brush them, too?
It is. The bacteria that accumulate in plaque and tartar don’t just target your teeth. These bacteria thrive on your gums, where they can cause gingivitis. Your tongue is laden in these same bacteria that will continually keep producing toxins that wreck good oral hygiene. Brushing by itself is insufficient to ensure oral hygiene.
Your dentist in Muskogee OK has a few more reasons to give your gums and tongue a gentle, thorough cleaning:
- Furry tongue: Sounds a bit scary, doesn’t it? The small bumps on our tongues are called papillae. Bacteria thrive on and in-between them. Not only are they a haven for tooth and gum destroying bacteria, but coffee, tea, and cola can stain them giving your tongue a furry look! Gently brushing your tongue removes the discoloration.
- Bad breath: The germs that cause bad breath live on your tongue. A solid brushing removes them and leaves you with fresh breath. A wash with a
- Yeast infection: Yeast lives in our mouths and throats. It’s seldom a problem, but can get out of hand, leading to thrush (an oral yeast infection). Removing bacteria from the tongue and insides of the cheeks prevents yeast infections.
- Gum disease: Your gums are the key to a lifelong healthy smile. They’re vulnerable to bacteria that flourish in the mouth. Daily flossing helps. It’s also necessary to carefully brush your gums to get rid of all gingivitis-causing bacteria.
Your Muskogee dentist has some tips for cleaning your tongue and teeth:
- Brush your tongue when you brush your teeth. It takes just 20 to 30 seconds to get rid of most oral bacteria.
- Floss when you brush. Flossing removes food particles from between teeth and on gums. The flossing action also stimulates the gums.
- See your Muskogee dentist every six months. We can make sure your teeth, gums, and tongue are in top-notch health.
We’re your dentist near you. Visit us at 2406 East Shawnee Avenue, Suite D Muskogee, OK 74403 or call us at 918-682-5518.